Monday 16 May 2011

The Past Tense: "The Complicated E.P."


I caught The Past Tense supporting Len Price 3 at the Fiddler's Elbow and as I mentioned in that review, I kind of regretted not paying more attention or taking the opportunity to chat to the band. Mainly because it wasn't until later that I realized I couldn't get a few of their hooks and melodies out of my head and friends were talking about what a great warm-up to the LP3 they were, with their catchy garage psych songs.

The band have three singles out so far, the latest being "The Complicated E.P." released on Dirty Water Records and available on iTunes and emusic. It's well worth checking out as it features three great tracks that conjure up images of The Yardbirds and The Pretty Things with their punchy RnB roots.

Another earlier single is "Feeling Bad"/"The Optimist", the first track is based around a catchy stabbing Hammond organ riff that gives it an almost Ska like rhythm and the raw vocals remind me of the young "Bricks & Mortar" era Weller. "The Optimist" is another melodic number with a ringing guitar riff and a great brass led ending.

The other single is "Wolfman"which starts off with some dialogue from a Horror movie and then blood curdling screams lead into a crunching guitar riff. The second track "My Baby" is probably my favourite song of the band's that I've heard so far, and is one of the hooks that I still can't get out of my head. A staccato Wilko Johnson style guitar and an impossibly catchy chorus, you just can't beat it!

Great live band, I'll be sure to catch them again as soon as I can and this time give them the attention they deserve...more info here

No comments:

Post a Comment