Sunday 24 April 2011

Len Price 3 Live at The Fiddler's Elbow London Saturday April 23rd

Glenn Page of The Len Price 3 - Photo by Steve Worrall
Well, I finally got round to seeing The Len Price 3 last night and, with many glowing reports from friends lucky enough to have caught them before, I was really looking forward to the show.  I can say that they exceeded all expectations, in fact I'd go so far as saying they were one of the best live bands I've seen in years.  The Fiddler's Elbow was the perfect venue to catch them, a great old style boozer decked out with gig posters and vinyl pinned up all over the walls.

The Len Price 3 Live at The Fiddler's Elbow London - Photo by Steve Worrall
The band looked dapper in their matching Breton tops, surrounded by Union Jacks and Mod Targets, perfectly suited for their high octane 60's influenced power pop classics. The harmonies lodge in your head, "Rentacrowd" and "After You've Gone" have choruses that you'll be singing to yourself for days.
The Len Price 3 Live at The Fiddler's Elbow - Photo by Steve Worrall
It's easy to see why Little Steven is a big fan with his love for garage rock, playing them on his Underground Garage radio show and signing them to his excellent Wicked Cool Record label. The band take the Nuggets garage psych sound also championed by their Medway compatriots Graham Day (of The Prisoners and The Gaolers) and Billy Childish, but they also inject the tuneful punky energy of Buzzcocks and The Jam along with their own cheeky humour.
The band take a well deserved breather - Photo by Steve Worrall
Singer Guitarist Glenn Page charges off the stage into the audience, climbing on tables, dispensing some superb riffs as he runs around making Wilko Johnson seem laid-back. Latest single "Mr Grey", a menacing "Comanche!" and my personal highlight "If I Ain't Got You", which Roky Erickson would have been proud to have written, were played with such unbridled joy and energy that the whole venue was filled with smiles. A faultless gig, well actually not quite, as they didn't comply with my screams for "Viva Viva", maybe next time,  and I guarantee there will be a next time as I am not going to miss them live in London again!
The Len Price 3 Live at The Fiddler's Elbow - Photo by Steve Worrall


Just a quick  P.S. to mention the great Support band The Past Tense, might sound a bit weird but although I enjoyed them a lot - unfortunately it wasn't until after the gig had finished and I checked out some of their tunes on Reverb Nation did I realize how much I'd enjoyed them! Anyway, I hope to catch them again and will review.

2 comments:

  1. Top band!

    Could you mail me at pacificsdublin @gmail .com so I can send you on some promo material for review?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will do Sean, thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete